Asbestos in very basic terms is a mineral that is easily split into fibres. Asbestos deposits are found underground and are surfaced for processing using conventional mining practices.
There are six main types of Asbestos found in the UK:
Although Asbestos is referred to in colour types this is not a reliable way of identifying asbestos types.
Where can you find Asbestos?
Asbestos can be found in any industrial or residential building built or refurbished before the year 2000, it is used in a number of ways
- Textured coating plasters and paints, for example 'Artex'
- Fire Breaks in ceiling voids
- Insulation of pipes and boilers
- Fire protection in ducts, firebreaks, panels, partitions, soffit boards, ceiling panels
- Sound deadening in walls and ceilings, usually as a coating or as tiles
- Asbestos cement products include corrugated roofing sheets, wall cladding, gutters, rainwater pipes and water tanks
- Insulation of electrical equipment, wood veneers or linoleum
Why is Asbestos Dangerous?
When materials that contain asbestos are disturbed or damaged, tiny fibres become airborne. When these fibres are inhaled they become embedded in the lungs and can cause serious diseases such as :
- Asbestos related lung cancer
- Pleural thickening
These diseases will not effect you immediately; they often take a long time to develop, but once diagnosed, it is often too late to do anything. This is why it is important that you protect yourself.
If you are concerned about any Asbestos related illness you can read more information from the British Lung Foundation - British Lung Foundation-Asbestos related conditions
An asbestos survey will identify:
- the location of any asbestos-containing materials in the building
- the type of asbestos they contain
- the condition these materials are in
Following a survey, we will produce a survey report which details our findings in a clear and concise way.
Licensed Asbestos removal work is a significantly hazardous job because it involves higher risk Asbestos Containing Materials (ACMs). Higher risk asbestos products are; sprayed asbestos coatings, asbestos insulation, asbestos lagging and Asbestos Insulation Board (AIB)
We can arrange for the removal of this asbestos.
Asbestos is classed as carcigen (cancer causing material). Materials containing it, or likely to be contaminated with it, must be disposed of as a Special Waste / Hazardous Waste.
Never dispose of asbestos in a dustbin or an ordinary skip. We can arrange for your Asbestos disposal to be carried out by our UKATA trained in house staff.
For more information on asbestos then refer to the Health & Safety Executive site.